[gpm] GPM problems

Peter Berg Larsen pebl@math.ku.dk
Thu, 4 Apr 2002 19:01:22 +0200 (MET DST)

On 4 Apr 2002, Troy Schultz wrote:

> >> My system is a Compaq Presario 2710 with a synaptics touchpad+4-way
> >> scroll key, firmware version 5.8.  I am running RedHat 7.2 with
> kernel
> >> 2.4.17, ACPI version 20020225, and Xfree86 Version 4.2.0.

> Synaptics Ident:  model_code=1   Firmware version 5.8
> Synaptics model:
>    rot180:      No
>    portrait:    No
>    sensor:      29
>                 Reserved
>
>                 0x0 res/mm
>                 0.0x 0.0 mm
>                 0x0 res
>    hardware:    72
>    newABS:      Yes
>    simpleCmd:   Yes
>    geometry:    1
>    extended:    Yes
>    sleep:       Yes
>    4 buttons:   No
>    multifinger: Yes
>    palmdetect:  Yes
>
> Min Toss Dist^2: 0

"Reserved" and sensor > 16 indicates that it is a new branch of
touchpads. (Usually the sensor is between 1-16)
Secondly, what is a 4 way scroll key, as it is not implemented as 4
buttons? Do you have a link to synaptic homepage?

> >What happens if you only use the touchpad as a ps2 device (you need to
> >reboot).
>
> How should I do this?  My notebook does not yield a /dev/ps2 device,
> only /dev/psaux and /dev/mouse (which is symlink to psaux).

The touchpad uses ps/2 protocol unless put in special mode. So I ask what
if it also happens if you start gpm -t ps2 -m /dev/psaux. (You need to
reset the touchpad by powering down, as gpm does not put the touchpad in
ps2 protocol mode when stopping.). I ask to find out whether it is general
gpm fault or a synaptic specific problem.

>>> The problems I experience are as follows;
>>> 1: access consoleusing <CTRL><ALT><F1> and return to X using
>>> <CTRL><ALT><F7> no response from X for either mouse or keybaord.
>>> This happens 100% of the time with gpm 1.20.0 and only happened once
>>> with gpm 1.19.6.
>>> After this I must restart the system.  During this
>>> /var/log/messages do not report anything out of the ordinary.

> Can you do any SysRq?

> What happens if you start gpm with -D.

> (What happens if you do an additional startx?)

Which questions of the above do you answar here? the last?

> X seems to hang, it does not completely redraw screen after return from
> console.  If I ssh into notebook and run top, X show 99.7% CPU
> utilization.  I have tried to change to init level 3, but that seems to
> do nothing, I can however "shutdown -r now" and restart the system.

>> #2: after X screen saver is running and returns to normal X display,
>> loose mouse and sometime keyboard.  This happens approx. 20% of the
>> time.  After this if I ssh to the notebook and restart gpm things
>> work again.  During this problem /var/log/messages reports "gpm[PID]:
>> garbage or tossing PS/2 data"

>Could you compile gpm with debug info, and next time
>it happens attach gdb to see where/what gpm is doing.

If you do not know how to do this, then when it happens try restarting gpm
with -t ps2 -m /dev/psaux instead. The mouse will work if the touchpad is
reset (to ps2 protocol). If not could you repeat 4-5 lines of what is
logged, as I want to see whether it is synpatic data, that just is out of
sync.

Peter
--
E-Mail:       pebl@math.ku.dk