[gpm] GPM Problems - more information

Peter Berg Larsen pebl@math.ku.dk
Fri, 5 Apr 2002 17:06:16 +0200 (MET DST)

On 5 Apr 2002, Troy Schultz wrote:

> If I manage to kill the X process and the Xinit process I still cannot
> start another X session.  I have done some more testing and found the
> problem may be related to the Radeon driver in XFree86 version 4.2.0.

But if understand you correct it does not happen if you do not use
gpm? What happens if you skip using gpm, and configure X to use the
synaptic as ps2 mouse?

> I can do everything I want on that session, including change to
> console and back, and everything is fine.  However if I change to the
> X session on display 0 at any time it hangs and I lose keyboard and
> mouse and am unable to do anything else but ssh into the notebook and
> restart.

Pas. I know too little about X to speculate why. (I had hobed the opposit
result; just to sure, the mouse works, right? ) What happens when two
programs opens the same fifo file?

> Using gpm 1.20.0 and your latest patches the 4-way scroll button
> responds, but does not provide anything usefull.  Here is what I get;
>
> - Press UP, mouse pointer moves right at a slow speed for approx. 2
> seconds
> - Press RIGHT, mouse pointer moves up at a faster speed for approx. 2
> seconds
> - Press DOWN, mouse pointer moves up at a slow speed for approx. 2
> seconds
> - Press LEFT, mouse pointer moves right at a faster speed for approx. 2
> seconds

Thats bad, because then it is going to be difficult to destinguise stick
motion and 4-way bottons. (I think the data is recognize as stick data,
try turning of stick_enabled and it will stop)

> His hack was to use the 4-way scroll button on the Compaq to act as
> normal mouse buttons.  He used LEFT for the left button, UP for the
> middle button, and RIGHT for the right button.

Could be implemented if there is a way to distinguise this from stick
motions.

>  His hack also provided a bit better milti-finger detection

Yes and no. Set palm_detect_level to 1 (and palm_detect_enabled on). There
is no way to use two/three finger botton taps with this settings, though.
If you dont use this feature then it a better detection.

Peter
--
E-Mail:       pebl@math.ku.dk
Real name:    Peter Berg Larsen