[gpm]New Synaptic patch

Peter Berg Larsen pebl@math.ku.dk
Tue, 9 Apr 2002 23:42:26 +0200 (MET DST)

On 9 Apr 2002, Troy Schultz wrote:

> I am now using your synaptics_c_p4 patches as so far things seem OK, all
> except for the 4-way RIGHT direction, and maybe the LEFT as well.  I'm
> not sure what the best thing for these to do is.
>
> With debug logging I get the following data from the 4-way scroll key
> UP - 80 00 00 C2 01 00		(this wrong in my previous message)
> RIGHT - 80 00 00 C2 00 02
> DOWN - 80 00 00 C2 00 01
> LEFT - 80 00 00 C2 02 00

Thanks, this is the data I wanted.

The binding binding is chosen for this reason: gpm's internal struction
only allows 6 buttons (which includes scrolling). The touchpad have two
normal buttons which are assign to left (1) and right (2). The 4 button is
assign as up/down is up (5)/down(6) aka scrolling. Button left/right is
middle (3),fourth (4).

If your window manager intercept middle button and translate it, then you
will not see a button event in xev.

> The only other thing maybe the speed for scrolling using the 4-way
> scroll key.  It is much faster than if I use the edge of the touchpad.

Yes, as the button generates different packets than normal syn protocol
packets, they are handled seperatly, which means that no attempt is done
to slow down the number of up/down reports.

(This _is_ something I have thought of:
1) Just dublicate the code, (which I am reluctant to)
2) Add two more buttons to gpm to make a horisontal scrolling. Well change
  it to take a signed byte as supported by imps2.
3) Use the extra buttons to mean different behavior of the touchpad in
  general.
)

Peter
--