[gpm]Problems using synps2 mouse type with Synaptics touch pad

Peter Berg Larsen pebl@math.ku.dk
Tue, 6 Aug 2002 15:28:29 +0200 (MET DST)

On Sat, 3 Aug 2002, Rich Griswold wrote:

> gpm prints debug output when I move my finger on the touchpad and when I
> press the left and right buttons.  However, it doesn't print anything when
> I press the scroll button.  I can send the full debug output if anyone
> needs it.

> Even though I don't use gpm in repeater mode, it messes up the mouse with
> X as well.  When I try to move the cursor, it jumps all over the screen
> and seems to randomly send button events.  If I do put gpm in repeater
> mode and configure X to read from gpm, the cursor has the same behavor as
> on the console, and the buttons don't work.

I believe you have two problems: a) Some buttons dont work. b) Using
absolut synaptics mode causes some problems.

The sollution to a) is to use a newer version of gpm. (I would like to see
the the extra information printed if this does not help).

b) is usually caused by two mouse drivers reading psaux, like gpm and X.
But you write that you tried repeater mode and it still does not work. I
can think of five reasons: 1) there is a third program that reads psaux.
2) The synaptics absolut mode protocol is special for version 5.1. 3) a
third mouse is connected to the psaux that have a bad influence when the
synaptics is initalized. 4) some parameters/options have bad values. 5) It
is a problem that a not linked to the synaptics touchpad, but a general
problem with your gpm or system.

Can you send some of the printed reports for the synaptics (stating with
>>synps2: fg--r .. etc <<) while moving the mouse and while clicking on
each button?

Peter
--
E-Mail:       pebl@math.ku.dk