[gpm]Re: report

Nico Schottelius schottelius@wdt.de
Wed, 25 Dec 2002 00:19:13 +0000

--WIyZ46R2i8wDzkSu

Alessandro Rubini [Sun, Dec 01, 2002 at 03:58:43PM +0100]:
> Nico, it looks like you reposted old messages. It's one of those
> unfortunate things that happen pretty often when one writes offline
> (I do that too).

Same here. I am sorry, if I sent it double!

> > Does someone on the list know how X handles it buffer and if we can
> > access it easily ?
>=20
> There exist no X buffer. There is a protocol, and the X server acts
> only as communication media.
>=20
> One application claims ownership of the selection, and others can
> ask to retrieve the current "primary" selection (there more in addition
> to the primary one).  It's not easy at all.

If I understood that correctly, if we want to exchange data
selected by gpm to X, we need to register gpm as an X program
and tell X we have the primary selection.

> A visible effect of the server handing messages and not holding data
> is that if you select text in an xterm that then exists, you won't be
> able to paste that text any more.

I just tested that and it seems that at least here that's not the case.
I exited the xterm and now I can paste text into this one.

Greetings,

Nico

--=20
Please send your messages pgp-signed and/or pgp-encrypted (don't encrypt ma=
ils
to mailing list!). If you don't know what pgp is visit www.gnupg.org.
(public pgp key: ftp.schottelius.org/pub/familiy/nico/pgp-key)

--WIyZ46R2i8wDzkSu

--WIyZ46R2i8wDzkSu--