[gpm]imps2 repeater

Alessandro Rubini rubini@gnu.org
Thu, 21 Feb 2002 09:52:43 +0100

Hi.

> The difference came down to the value of DEF_CLUSTER.  In stock gpm,
> it is 10.  In Debian gpm, it is patched to 0.  In the Debian
> changelog, there is an entry (from 1999):
> [...]

I implemented clustering when I broke my 486-33 (a 12V power wire fell
on the motherboard). Running on a 386SX-16 with 3MB (emacs-19.22, gcc
2.5.8, libc4, linux-1.0 I think) I had real performance problems with
gpm.

Clustering helped a huge lot, without it the gpm cursor might go on
moving for several seconds after a gesture. With clustering it
recovered almost immediately (after paging in the daemon), so I could
use it much better.

I agree nowadays clustering can be set to 0 by default, the average
computer is much faster than that, and the problem you report is
perfectly sound (even though I didn't experience it myself).

/alessandro, running gpm since 0.01 and the linux kernel since 0.99.13