[gpm]Bug with IMPS/2 w/ Microsoft Intellimouse 1.3A on Linux

Pozsar Balazs pozsy@uhulinux.hu
Tue, 18 Jun 2002 02:19:16 +0200 (MEST)

On Mon, 17 Jun 2002, Zephaniah E. Hull wrote:

> Ok, I should have commented a while back but I have been very busy with
> life.
>
> First off, doing the init via the shut off via reset, set everything,
> and reactivate does fix a /lot/ of problems.
>
> However it also breaks a lot of mice which, while they seem to plug into
> the PS/2 port, don't have a damn clue how to speak most of the protocol.
>
> Failure modes vary, but in general they just Don't Work.

Could you tell me, how they 'dont work'?
The worst I can imagine is that they misinterpret somehow the reset byte.
Also, do you know which mice are that bad?

I had a feeling that this might not work for all mice, but now I can be
sure. Though I would be really happy if we could have a "autops2" which
rules them all :)

> Below I will attach bits of the current Debian gpm init stuff, which
> handles PS/2, IMPS/2, and EXPS/2 all in the same init function, and also
> has a autops2 protocol which will automaticly detect which protocol of
> the three the mouse can speak which supports the most options.
>
> In addition to these modes I have fups2 and fuimps2, for mice which
> can't handle any sort of complex init sequence, I have yet to see
> reports of exps2 mice not being able to support the full set of
> commands, however it is only a matter of time before there become
> Logitech OEM mice which have more buttens. (OTOH, we could get lucky and
> they could be entirely USB.)

What does 'fu' stand for? Maybe 'force user'? :)

> I'll also include the parser for the protocols.
>
> (This code has NOT been updated to 1.20 yet, it is high on my todo list,
> but lower then getting the bathroom back together and usable.)
>
> This is just grabbing the relevant sections from the mice.c FWIW.

Well thanks, I've have already gone trough the patches/ dir in the gpm
sources, but I'm yet to see the debian version.

I would really like to have that 'autops2' detection, so please tell me
what you know. I might also be able to get my hands on some of those bad
rats.

--
pozsy