[gpm]External imps2 mouse with synps2 touchpad

Peter Berg Larsen pebl@math.ku.dk
Wed, 2 Oct 2002 20:31:35 +0200 (MET DST)

On Tue, 1 Oct 2002, dLux wrote:

> Can anyone use gpm with a synaptics touchpad (+stick), an external imps2
> mouse (both of them use /dev/psaux port!) and have the wheel working?

That is not possible with gpm. It is design to handle one mouse per port.
The reason it works with ps/2 anyway is that both (or actually all three)
are using the ps/2 protocol and the kbc is multiplexing them, so they are
seen as one. As soon you ask one of them to use a special protocol you
need some demultiplexing.

> If I use the "imps2" protocol and repeat it with imps2, it somehow
> does not arrive to X.

I dont uderstand. Is gpm writing to gpmdata at all? or (which I
believe) gpm doesnt even recognize the mouse data?

> Currently I am trying the X ImPS2 driver, it works flawlessly until
> I remove and replug the mouse (then the mouse and the touchpad stops working).
> Anyone has any idea?

Dont remove the mouse? :) I dont know how X is doing this, it might be
smarter than gpm.

If you want, you could implement the active ps/2 multiplexing suggested on
the Synaptics homepage which gives you four individual ports (the
touchpad, stick, and two external mice ports), then it would be easy to do
what you want.

Peter
--
E-Mail:       pebl@math.ku.dk