[gpm] Linux device number bug report

WEI Yongjun yjwei@nanjing-fnst.com
Mon Jan 12 06:38:28 CET 2004

Hello,

I have some questions about device number extension.

In Linux kernel 2.6, device number will be extended from 16-bit to 32-bit. All utilities and libraries should make corresponding extension for this new feature in kernel 2.6.

I find that "gpm-1.19.3" uses structure dev_t and operates the device number as 16-bit.
1. gpm-root.c line 49:

#ifdef HAVE_SYS_SYSMACROS_H
#include <sys/sysmacros.h>
#else
#define major(dev) (((unsigned) (dev))>>8)
#define minor(dev) ((dev)&0xff)
#endif

This is a backup for lost of system defined macro major and minor, but all of these operations
look dev_t as 16 bits instead of 32 bits, so they will call problem when actually use them.

Since I didn't find any information about this aspect in homepage of this package, I wonder whether the latest version has completed the device number extension? If not, will it be completed in the future? And when?

Looking forward to answering.

Wei Yongjun
Dept. of Technology and Development
Nanjing Fujitsu Nanda Software Tech. Co., Ltd.(FNST)
No. 16-5, Guanzhou Rd., Nanjing, P.R.China
PHONE: +86+25-6630523-651
FUJITSU INTERNAL: 79955-651
FAX: +86+25-3317685
Mail: yjwei@nanjing-fnst.com