[gpm] Problem with X, and gpm

Nico Schottelius nico-gpm@schottelius.org
Mon Jun 21 15:02:43 CEST 2004

Hello Albert,

Albert Hyseni [Sun, Jun 20, 2004 at 07:25:00PM +0100]:
> After I installed gpm on my Debian unstable machine (Dell Latitude CPi, PII
> 400MHz, 128Mb RAM Laptop), I am having problems with going into tty1,
> tty2, ..., tty6 from X.  I.e. When in X (any WM and any DM), I can't
> ctrl+alt+Fx into ttyx.  Nothing happens when i do for example ctrl+alt+F1,
> ctrl+alt+F2, ..., ctrl+alt+F6.  Any idea?

Perhaps a ps/2 problem? Some kernels (2.4.17 iirc) had problems when
using mouse and keyboard at the same time.

> I can't help thinking that gpm might have over-written some X
> file/configuration but for the hel of me I have no idea which or how :-(

gpm doesn't overwrite configuration files. Perhaps
your distro did (although I don't believe that).

I don't even think this is a gpm related problem, but
simply to verify that: kill gpm (gpm -k), start X and see if it
works or not. If it doesn't you should perhaps contact an Xfree86
help forum.

Have a nice day,

Nico

--
Keep it simple & stupid, use what's available.
Please use pgp encryption: 8D0E 27A4 is my id.