[gpm] ms intellimouse explorer 4.0a

Konstantin Vayner poncha@gmx.net
Sun Jul 10 08:15:37 CEST 2005

Hi List,

I have a problem with ms intellimouse explorer 4.0a

distro: debian sid
kernel version: 2.6.8
gpm version: 1.19

hwinfo detects mouse at /dev/input/mice (/dev/input/mouse0)
and suggests protocol "ExplorerPS/2" for X and "exps2" for GPM

however gpm-mouse-test is unable to detect packet size and thus is stuck
detecting protocol

tried to use both /dev/input/mice and /dev/psaux (to bypass the usb
input device modules)
tried setting gpm up with protocols: exps2 , imps2 , fuimps2 , ps2 ,
fups2 , autops2 , ms , ms+ , ms+lr , ms3 , bare
with repeat_type ms3 or none (regardless - no change) (i actually also
tried repeat_type exps2 and imps2, but gpm failed to start logging a
message about repeat_type not yet supported)
the only protocols that brought the mouse up somehow were exps2 , imps2
, fuimps2 , ps2 , fups2 , autops2
however, no matter which protocol used, the mouse pointer only moves
vertically (either when moving it vertically or horizontally - any
movement results in pointer moving vertically only)

Is there anything possible to do or is my mouse completely unsupported?
it looks like ms used another new protocol here ?
This is the most recent version of the explorer (5 btn mouse with tilt
wheel)

Regards,
    Konstantin