[gpm] GPM usage question

bill moon wjmoon@verizon.net
Wed Mar 9 20:13:29 CET 2005

Please forgive the newbie type question and if I am on the wrong list
please direct me to an appropriate one. I can't get gpm to work. My
linux system is Debian 3.0 i386 and I got gpm v. 1.19.6.12 from the
Debian distribution. My mouse says Microsoft on the top and
'IntelliMouse PS/2 compatible' on the bottom - it has a round 6-pin
connector (green). I am trying to start gpm with the following at the
bash command prompt:

gpm -m /dev/mouse -t XX

with different mouse types for 'XX'.

When I use ps2, fups2, imps2, fuimps2, autops2, ms3 for 'XX' gpm won't
run at all. (It doesn't show up on the 'ps -A' list of running processes).

When I use ms, ms+, bare for 'XX' gpm will run but it won't function. (I
get no mouse response at the gpmconfig test or in the midnight commander
application.)

/dev/mouse was a symlink to /dev/psaux before gpm was installed and is
now a symlink to /dev/gpmdata as a result of the gpm installation. As an
aside, when X is configured to use a PS/2 mouse at /dev/psaux, I do have
mouse response in X (this is with gpm not running).

When reading the 'changes.Debian' file in the gpm docs, it appears that
there have been various PS/2 issues in recent revisions. Is there a
different version of gpm that I should be using or are there any other
suggestions?

Any help would be appreciated.

Sincere Thanks,
Bill Moon