[gpm] [weigelt@metux.de: Re: [gentoo-dev] Announce: standalone libgpm]

Enrico Weigelt weigelt@metux.de
Wed Jul 5 14:32:31 CEST 2006

Taken from gentoo-dev ... should be discussed here ;-)

----- Forwarded message from Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@metux.de> -----

From: Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@metux.de>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Announce: standalone libgpm
To: gentoo developers <gentoo-dev@gentoo.org>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 14:31:01 +0200

* Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org> schrieb:

<snip>

> > Yes, would be better, if it's included in the gpm release.
> > But: it should be possible to build/install it independently from
> > gpm, and also to build gpm against an already installed libgpm.
> > So actually two separate packages, maybe distributed in one tarball.
>
> considering gpm uses autotools, i really dont see why there needs
> to be all that many changes ... write it correctly and it'd be
> easy to fold into configure.ac/Makefile.am
>
> ./configure --disable-binaries

That doesn't seem to be clean enough for me. I need the libgpm,
and only libgpm, built, and then gpm server built against this
(already installed) libgpm, found via pkg-config. I've got very
strict policies at this point.

My further plan in short words:

+ further tests on libgpm
+ split off the gpm server and rewrite to build against an already
  installed libgpm (found via pkg-config)
+ put both into some cumulative package, which can be build
  just as the current gpm package.

Meanwhile we also should try to get in the pkg-config stuff,
and let several parts to be switched off as you suggested,
optionally build the server against an installed libgpm, etc.

cu