[gpm] X to gpm paste

Kevin Ryde user42@zip.com.au
Sat Sep 22 01:52:05 CEST 2007

I made myself a little program to paste X selections into the console,
using gpm to grab control-button3, then talking the the X server and
putting text into the tty.  I've had it on the go for a long time
actually, but only lately worked it up into a presentable form.  So, as
a bit of shameless self-promotion:

    http://www.geocities.com/user42_kevin/x2gpm/index.html

If it looks a little rough, well, lets just say you should have seen
when it was only for me :-).  Note it's only X to the console, not the
other direction console to X, so it's probably mostly of use if you work
on the console and just sometimes want bits from X.

I hope I haven't embarassed myself by re-inventing the wheel.  A bit of
a google suggested the idea of sharing X and console selections comes up
from time to time, but I couldn't spot any actual code doing it.