[gpm] Weird behaviour

Geoff Martin gpm@pfw.demon.co.uk
Sun Jan 11 19:29:55 CET 2009

Dear Chaps,

I wonder if you can help me with a particularly nasty mouse
infestation... I'm running Linux 2.6.25.4 with glibc 2.5.1 and using
gpm 1.20.1. I have a PS/2 mouse, as provided by a video switch. I run
gpm with:

   # gpm -m /dev/input/mouse0 -t ps2

and as I move the mouse, the pointer moves wildly in random directions,
makes selections and pastes them. In short, it looks like gpm doesn't
understand the protocol coming out of the device.

In order to track down this problem, please can someone with a working
PS/2 mouse on a computer which is pretty up-to-date tell me:

- your kernel version,
- the options you use when you configure your kernel
- the modules you load to get the PS/2 port going
- any settings you send to your kernel drivers, eg. via sysctl
- the gpm version you use
- the gpm command line you use

I know this is fairly basic stuff, but it seems as if I might have
done something silly...

Many thanks,

Geoff.