[gpm] gpm synaptics

Dmitry Torokhov dmitry.torokhov@gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 18:48:07 CET 2010

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 11:37:19AM +0000, ael wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 04:35:27PM -0800, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > > I have written an fdi file so that the X support is tuned and working well.
>
> And now I have also written a udev rule so it is also working with the
> latest xorg.
>

> > > However, I do not seem to be able to manage the gpm support on text
> > > terminals.
> > >
> > > My /etc/gpm.conf is:
>  [...]
> > > type=exps2
> > > #type=synps2  # fails?
> [...]
> > > As noted in the comment, setting type=synps2 fails. Is this expected?
> >
> > You need to use evdev type with 2.6 if you want synaptics-like features
> > (multi-finger tapping, etc). There is (was?) no scrolling support. But
> > in all honesty, why bother?
>
> I have /etc/gpm-syn.conf installed with my gpm package and expected to
> be able to see & tune those parameters. Are you telling me that that
> file and driver is obsolete?

Yes. Linux kernel 2.6 does not provide raw access to PS/2 port anymore
(unless you are bind serio_raw driver but then X driver will not work)
and thus GPM synaptics driver will not work. Kernel emulates
Intellimouse Explorer for legacy applications, that's why GPM default
handler continues to work. It has no idea about real hardware behind
/dev/input/mice.

> > Hmm, maybe we need to switch to evdev being the default type and them
> > distros could dump mousedev support from the kernel... Just need to
> > either teach GPM hotplug or have udev restart it when new input device
> > gets plugged in or out.
>
> Just to be clear: we are talking about support outside xorg? I
> thought evdev was an xorg driver. Is there a package for evdev when xorg
> is not in use?

Umm, GPM used to have evdev protocol handler that supported topuchpads
in absolute mode, tablets and regular mice, unfortunately it was ripped
out for some reason. Current GPM evdev handler, even if it is enabled,
it a toy at best.

--
Dmitry