[gpm] What is going on with GPM sources/copyright?

Nico Schottelius nico-gpm@schottelius.org
Sun Feb 28 14:57:00 CET 2010

Dmitry Torokhov [Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 11:03:29PM -0800]:
> On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 08:35:44PM +0100, Nico Schottelius wrote:
>
> There is name for it, and it is not "similar content" but rather
> functionally complete modules. IOW producing 3 files selection_copy.c,
> selection_paste.c, do_selection.c and disable_paste.c contraining
> functions with the respecive names is brain dead but splitting selection
> handling code into one separate file with a couple of private (static)
> functions and a couple of globals is quite sensible.

I'm very open to creative critics and that are and especially thankful
if you help me :-)

> > > More importantly, why copyright notices of all former contributors have been
> > > stripped off once the code was moved? It is one thing to add your own
> > > copyright string (although even that requires the change to be copyrightable
> > > and not a mechanical transformation) but claiming sole copyright over
> > > entire body of code it something quite different.
> >
> > I'm sorry, I somewhere stopped to continue the process of cleaning up.
> > My idea was to cleanup the files and re-add the correct copyright after
> > being done.
>
> This is quite a novel idea for cleanup - to start with copyright notices!

Not really true - it has been use template + copy function out of huge file,
make it a smaller file.

> > > Note that I don't claim to have copyright interest in GPM anymore since
> > > all my work has been removed during 1.20.2 -> 1.20.1 rollback. I wonder
> > > why, by the way, since it implemented fairly decent and full support of
> > > Linux event interface. I suppose Explorer PS/2 emulation from mousedev
> > > is good enough but I think we might be dropping mousedev (at least not
> > > enable it by default) in not so distant future.
> >
> > Well, need to have a look at the current status sometime soon anyway..
> >

> You know, I am not holding my breath... Given the amazing progress I
> witnessed in last, what, 7 years?

Well, you know, this is an open source project. If you don't like what
happens, feel free to do it better :-)

Cheers

Nico

--
New PGP key: 7ED9 F7D3 6B10 81D7 0EC5  5C09 D7DC C8E4 3187 7DF0
Please resign, if you signed 9885188C or 8D0E27A4.

Currently moving *.schottelius.org to http://www.nico.schottelius.org/ ...