[gpm] GPM and USB Optical Mouses

Dmitry Torokhov dmitry.torokhov@gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 23:35:13 CET 2019

On Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 12:20 PM Jamenson Ferreira Espindula de
Almeida Melo <jafesp@gmail.com> wrote:

> Em qui, 10 de jan de 2019 às 10:00, Nico Schottelius
> <nico-gpm@schottelius.org> escreveu:
> >

> > Hey,
> >
> > can you try imps2 intead of ps2?
> >
> > I think mice (for about 10-15y) rarely use ps2 nowadays.

Indeed. And even more amazing fact, USB mice have never used PS/2
protocol. Nor do they use imps2.

> > There should also be an emulated mouse at /dev/input/mice and/or
> > /dev/input/mouseX respectively. As far as I recall, they are also
> > emulating imps2 by default.

It is actually disabled by default now. You need to explicitly enable
mousedev module in kernel to get PS/2 emulation. Everyone has moved to
using evdev interface (with exception of GPM but nobody cares about it
anymore).

Thanks.

--
Dmitry