5c080 timer understood.

Oleg Gusev oleg@usm.uni-muenchen.de
Mon Apr 26 15:21:03 CEST 2004

On Monday 26 April 2004 11:52 am, you wrote:

> I've just committed a few patches to make living with the initrd easier,
> and if you send me whatever you use to do a pivot_root
> (the two parts of the script, the one in linuxrc,
> and the one that gets exec'ed by chroot after the pivot_root),

I vote for two ramdisk images. Standalone and cfboot.

> So if you've got a satisfactory installation, debian or not,
> I'm interested. Could you post it on the website?

It is there. Old kernel+ramdisk and /dev/hda3 tar.gz from the CF.
/dev/hda1 is for the bootloader (FAT16) and /dev/hda2 is swap.
All together fits on 128MB CF.

This is my /linuxrc on the ramdisk. Ugly as sin, but it
works (tm). Keep in mind that my kernel
has "root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc" . Add "console=ttySA0"
if needed. I guess now you understand why i want the bootloader
with the command line. The "exec /sbin/init.fsck" is a copy
of the /sbin/init, because init don't like when its pid!=1.
#!/bin/sh
echo "Executing rcS" pid= $$
#/bin/mount -o remount,rw /dev/ram0 /
cat /etc/fstab
/bin/mount -n -a
/bin/cardmgr -o
if /bin/mount -n /dev/hda3 /mnt/sandisk ; then
    echo "Switching root"
#/bin/umount /dev
#    /usr/sbin/chroot /mnt/sandisk
#    cd /mnt/sandisk
#    mkdir initrd
#    mkdir -p /mnt/sandisk/initrd
#/bin/umount /proc
    pivot_root /mnt/sandisk /mnt/sandisk/initrd
#    pivot_root . initrd
#    /bin/umount /initrd
        /bin/ls -l /128cf
        /bin/echo my pid is $$
    exec /sbin/init.fsck  <dev/console >dev/console 2>&1
fi

> Finally, I see that you have identified the c005c080 device
> -- congratulations! I suppose 2.6 hacking will commence now.
> Wouldn't you like to separate our files from the main tree?
> We'd put our modified files in cvs.sf.net and a script would
> automatically merge them with a pristine tree during build.
> I'm volunteer to write the scripts.

I want to start from the 2.6.5 kernel to write a clean usb driver.
The handhelds.org 2.6.1 kernel has also a lot of nice things,
so i'm really undecided.

 Oleg.

PS. My CF tar.gz file on .sf.net has lots of non-US packages.
       Don't release it for the common use :) Probably we need
       the script that adds them to the bare image.