A clean kernel patch

Francois-Rene Rideau fare@tunes.org
Sat Feb 21 13:39:07 CET 2004

Dear all,

I'm wondering whether to add our stuff to the "official" handhelds.org CVS,
which is not that official and not that up to date (2.4.19-rmk6-pxa1-hh36),
or whether to keep everything in a separate repository and produce an
independent patch (which requires some scripting infrastructure).
A patch might make it easier to integrate with update from other sources
and/or with kernel 2.6 (has anyone had a try?).
On the other hand we *of course* need a CVS (or similar) repository,
so if we don't merge our files with handhelds.org CVS,
we will have an ad-hoc CVS for just the files we modify.

(1) What do you think?
(2) Any volunteer to setup CVS and write suitable scripts?
  If yes, suggestions below. If no, I'll do it but then send me your patches.
(3) Should we use kernel 2.6 instead?
(4) Is anyone here subscribed to the linux-arm-kernel mailing-list?

Suggestions for a script:
maintain separate trees for "original linux kernel", "our files",
and "patched linux kernel". The "patched linux kernel" will consist
in hard links to either the original linux kernel or our files.
The scripts will also include commands to compile the whole kernel,
or only recompile the parts we modified.

im always happy // even when im sad // im happy to be sad // it doesnt happen
often // so its like gift for me // and gift make me happy -- q