Jornada820 Digest, Vol 4, Issue 20

G Almasi galmasi@optonline.net
Sun Feb 22 03:49:10 CET 2004

> I'm wondering whether to add our stuff to the "official" handhelds.org
> CVS,
> which is not that official and not that up to date
> (2.4.19-rmk6-pxa1-hh36),
> or whether to keep everything in a separate repository and produce an
> independent patch (which requires some scripting infrastructure).
> A patch might make it easier to integrate with update from other
> sources
> and/or with kernel 2.6 (has anyone had a try?).
> On the other hand we *of course* need a CVS (or similar) repository,
> so if we don't merge our files with handhelds.org CVS,
> we will have an ad-hoc CVS for just the files we modify.
>
> (1) What do you think?
> (2) Any volunteer to setup CVS and write suitable scripts?

Let me answer both questions here.

I don't know what scripts you mean, but I will volunteer setting up the
CVS and I will write a Makefile that sits *outside*
the linux directory and generates the kernel and the ramdisk from
scratch.
I am planning to import busybox 1.05 and cardctl/cardmgr into the CVS
repository as well.

I don't think we have the right permissions to do this on handhelds.org.
I am only a member of the "linux" project there. Let me propose to
set up the build system in the sf.net CVS instead, and that we
move "mature" patches back into handhelds.org.

In other words - keep ancilliary stuff on sf.net, and aim to integrate
kernel patches into the handhelds.org mainline.

> (3) Should we use kernel 2.6 instead?

In the long term, certainly. I will start to work on this - SLOWLY.
In the short term, it is more important to give people like Oleg
and yourself an outlet for your creative energies - I'm seeing a
lot of stuff fly by me on this mailing list,
and I really don't have the time to integrate all this on a daily basis
into the kernel. That would require a lot more time than I can afford
to spare.

George