pivot_root - is working!!!

David Jones goofy_36@yahoo.com
Tue Mar 2 03:17:26 CET 2004

Hi Oleg and All

Good news.  I have the "pivot_root" working.
Currently it mounts the CF, unmounts the ramdisk and
frees the ramdisk memory.  The only strange this is
that the CF is mounted as ro.  Doing a manual mount
with the option -o remount fixes it.  So it should be
just a matter of putting the command in the proper
place in the init process.  Below is what I did to get
it to work.

1) used the ramdisk image from George.
2) removed the initrd directory if it exists.
3) used the linuxrc script below.
4) remove the option root=???? in the kernel config
but left in the init=/linuxrc
5) had a partition on the cf card with busybox, blank
mount directories, any non busybox programs installed.

---- linuxrc script -----

#!/bin/sh
echo --- starting linuxrc --
echo --- starting cardmgr
mount proc
cardmgr -o
# /dev/hda1 = 0x301, /dev/hda2 = 0x302, etc
echo --- setting real-root-dev
echo 0x302 > /proc/sys/kernel/real-root-dev
echo ---- exiting linuxrc