uclibc toolchain HOWTO

Francois-Rene Rideau fare@tunes.org
Thu May 6 16:53:09 CEST 2004

Dear Dave,

here is a brief HOWTO, that you may include in the toolchain page of our site.
It isn't tested, so maybe you can test it first. :-)

We recommend that you use the uclibc toolchain
	http://uclibc.org/toolchains.html
for building the kernel and kernel modules.

Here is how you do it:
	mkdir -p /usr/src/j820/uclibc
	cd /usr/src/j820/uclibc
	wget http://uclibc.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/toolchain/gcc-3.3.x.tar.gz?view=tar
	tar zxf gcc-3.3.x.tar.gz
	cd toolchain/gcc-3.3.x
	( echo 2 ; echo 9 ; echo y ) | make ARCH=arm
	ln -s /usr/src/j820/uclibc/toolchain/gcc-3.3.x/toolchain_arm/bin/arm* /usr/local/bin

Note that the "echo" commands are to select arm, SA-1100 and MMU
in the configuration menu.

Note that there is a bootable image that includes a native arm uclibc toolchain
available as an ext2 image that you can mount -o loop or dd and resize2fs at
	http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/libs/uclibc/root_fs_arm.bz2
The docs say the image is gcc 3.3.2, but I suppose you can build your own
with the buildroot scripts there...

Finally, remember to make clean or otherwise remove any object file
from different toolchains before you recompile your programs.

An apple every eight hours will keep three doctors away.