kapmd problem

Francois-Rene Rideau fare@tunes.org
Sun May 9 00:59:51 CEST 2004

On Sun, May 09, 2004 at 12:33:18AM +0200, Oleg Gusev wrote:
> kapmd ? I thought it is a kernel thread in 2.6.
It exists in my 2.4 setup.

> Anyway, i have only 'apmd' process. If it will be killed, so what?
Well, the whole machine goes down when kapmd is kill -TERM by debian
in /etc/rc0.d/S20sendsigs so that the partitions never get a chance
to be umounted by /etc/rc0.d/S40umountfs, and I'm in for a long fsck
at next reboot (no journalling).
Or is there a lightweight journalling filesystem fit for the j820?

> We can always change the signal handler if it matters.
Well, if you know how to change the signal handler to not kill the whole
machine with the kapmd, I'm a taker.

Alternatively, what functionality do I lose
if I take apm away from the kernel?

Reason isn't about lack of a prejudices, but about presence of postjudices.
		-- Faré