Unrecognized PCMCIA card help

Jim Shallman jim.shallman@comcast.net
Wed Oct 26 10:23:42 CEST 2005

Well, my Jornada 820 is up running a window manager and popping xterms and
such.
I had been hoping to use my Sony Ericsson GC82 or GC83 PCMCIA cards but
when I insert them I get the wonderfully informative:

   # tail of dmesg shows
   sa1101_pcmcia: sock=0 VPP 33 is not available.
   sa1101_pcmcia: sock=0 VPP 33 is not available.
   sa1101_pcmcia: sock=0 VPP 33 is not available.
   cs: socket c0059800 timed out during reset.  Try increasing setup_delay.

And cardctl shows nothing interesting:

   # cardctl ident output
   Socket 0:
     no product info available
   Socket 1:
     product info: "HITACHI", "FLASH", "5.0"
     manfid: 0x0007, 0x0000
     function: 4 (fixed disk)

On the back they assure me they are PC-Card 16-bit cards and use 3.3V.
When inserted in other Linux laptops (and a Jornada 680 running NetBSD)
they come up as modems/serial ports running the serial driver.  Much like
the 3Com
3CXM756 does in the j820:

  Socket 0:
  product info: "3Com Megahertz", "3CXM756/3CCM756"
  manfid: 0x0101, 0x003f
  function: 2 (serial)

Since I don't know much about how the pcmcia detection and driving works, I
was wondering if someone had a good place to start.  Instrumentation I can
enable or debugging techniques I should use.  Or am I just SOL because this
PCMCIA controller (sa1101?) won't drive these cards?

Thanks in advance.

--JTS (aka jim.shallman@comcast.net)