[LTP] MD-RAID: Use seq_putc() in three status functions?

SF Markus Elfring elfring@users.sourceforge.net
Mon Oct 17 18:08:09 CEST 2016

>> * Would you really like to know under which circumstances data processing
>>   will be faster for a single character instead of using a string pointer
>>   and corresponding two characters?
>>
> It's not a problem of the interface, it's a problem of the resulting code
> (ie assembler output).

How do you think about to discuss concrete generated code any further?

> We can discuss all we like, if the compiler decides to throw in
> an optimisation none of the arguments even apply.

Would it make sense to clarify assembler output with optimisation switched off?

Do you eventually care for code from non-optimising compilers?

>> * Will it occasionally be useful to avoid the storage for another string literal?
>>
> Occasionally: yes.
> In this particular case: hardly.

I am curious when such a software design aspect can become more relevant.
Would it be nice to get rid of three questionable string terminators (null bytes)
for example?

Regards,
Markus