[LTP] Is MADV_HWPOISON supposed to work only on faulted-in pages?

Zi Yan zi.yan@cs.rutgers.edu
Mon Feb 27 05:27:02 CET 2017

On 26 Feb 2017, at 19:20, Naoya Horiguchi wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 25, 2017 at 10:28:15AM +0800, Yisheng Xie wrote:
>> hi Naoya,

>>> I found that this is a zero page, which is not recoverable for memory
>>> error now.

>>> I think that what the testcase effectively does is to test whether memory
>>> handling on zero pages works or not.
>>> And the testcase's failure seems acceptable, because it's simply not-implemented yet.
>>> Maybe recovering from error on zero page is possible (because there's no data
>>> loss for memory error,) but I'm not sure that code might be simple enough and/or
>>> it's worth doing ...
>> I question about it,  if a memory error happened on zero page, it will
>> cause all of data read from zero page is error, I mean no-zero, right?
>
> Hi Yisheng,
>
> Yes, the impact is serious (could affect many processes,) but it's possibility
> is very low because there's only one page in a system that is used for zero page.
> There are many other pages which are not recoverable for memory error like
> slab pages, so I'm not sure how I prioritize it (maybe it's not a
> top-priority thing, nor low-hanging fruit.)
>
>> And can we just use re-initial it with zero data maybe by memset ?
>
> Maybe it's not enoguh. Under a real hwpoison, we should isolate the error
> page to prevent the access on the broken data.
> But zero page is statically defined as an array of global variable, so
> it's not trival to replace it with a new zero page at runtime.
>
> Anyway, it's in my todo list, so hopefully revisited in the future.

Hi Naoya,

The test case tries to HWPOISON a range of virtual addresses that do not
map to any physical pages.

I expected either madvise should fail because HWPOISON does not work on
non-existing physical pages or madvise_hwpoison() should populate
some physical pages for that virtual address range and poison them.

As I tested it on kernel v4.10, the test application exited at
madvise, because madvise returns -1 and error message is
"Device or resource busy". I think this is a proper behavior.

There might be some confusion in madvise's man page on MADV_HWPOISON.
If you add some text saying madvise fails if any page is not mapped in
the given address range, that can eliminate the confusion.

--
Best Regards
Yan Zi