[LTP] crypto test af_alg04.c crash the LPAR

Enji Cooper yaneurabeya@gmail.com
Fri Apr 19 20:03:23 CEST 2019

On Apr 19, 2019, at 10:11, Eric Biggers <ebiggers@kernel.org> wrote:

>> Is this test doing an intentional crash? When it is run on RHEL8.0 latest
>> kernel, it immediately crashes the LPAR
>
> Do not send HTML email, people will usually ignore it...
>
> But yes, the test is testing for a bug that caused a kernel crash, so your
> kernel has that bug.  That's the whole point of the test; see the comment at the
> top of the file.
>
> In general if anything userspace does crashes the kernel, it's a kernel bug.

I agree with your statement, but there are a few things to potentially do to mitigate this:
1. If the test is a crash test for a known kernel bug fixed on a particular version, it should have a version check.
2. Printing out a diagnostic message to signal the intent may remove potential confusion about the intent of the test, as the end-user might not have access to the test sources. In this case, it might be smart to trigger the message via syslog on all consoles as the output could be lost on stdout.
Thank you!
-Enji