[LTP] ??? FAIL: Test report for kernel 5.4.0-rc8-4b17a56.cki (stable-next)

Tim.Bird@sony.com Tim.Bird@sony.com
Thu Nov 21 11:58:04 CET 2019

My preference would be to include the failure snippet somewhere in
the e-mail as well (as opposed to just a link).

> > Thanks for the feedback Cyril, we did have links to each failure listed
> > before but we were told it made the email look cluttered especially
> > if there are multiple failures.
>
> So it's exactly how Dmitry described it, you can't please everyone..,
>
> > The test logs are sorted by arch|host|TC, is there something we can
> > do to make it easier to find related logs ?
> > https://artifacts.cki-project.org/pipelines/296781/logs/
> >
> > Maybe we can look into adding the linked logs to the bottom of the
> > email with a reference id next to the failures in the summary, so
> > for example:
> >
> >      ppc64le:
> >       ??? LTP lite [1]
> >       ??? xfstests: ext4 [2]
>
> That would work for me.

Maybe combine the 'footnote' idea with the 'inline' idea, and have
the footnote include a link to the full log and a snippet with just the
output from the failing testcase, from the full log?

> > We could also look into merging the ltp run logs into a single file
> > as well.
>
> That would make it too big I guess. Actually the only part I'm
> interested in most of the time is the part of the log with the failing
> test. I would be quite happy if we had logs/failures file on the
> pipelines sever that would contain only failures extracted from
> different logfiles. The question is if that's feasible with your
> framework.

Fuego has an LTP log-splitter and link generator.
It's Fuego-specific and generates
files referred to by links in the result  tables that Fuego
shows to users.

I don't know how CKI is generating it's data or storing it,
but I can take a look and see if it could be applied
to their use case.  It's a python program that is fairly small.

See here:
https://bitbucket.org/fuegotest/fuego-core/src/master/tests/Functional.LTP/parser.py

It might not be applicable, depending on whether CKI stores their LTP output similarly
to how Fuego does, but IMHO it's worth taking a look.  If there is sufficient interest,
maybe this could be generalized and submitted to upstream LTP.  The Fuego log-splitter
produces individual files.

Another idea would be to write a program that takes an LTP log,
and the name of a failing testcase, and outputs (on stdout)  the snippet from the log
for that testcase.  I think this would be very easy to do, and might be suitable to
use in multiple contexts: on the command line, in a report
generator, or as a CGI script for a results server.
 -- Tim