[LTP] ❌ FAIL: Test report for kernel 5.4.0-rc2-d6c2c23.cki (stable-next)

Vincenzo Frascino vincenzo.frascino@arm.com
Tue Oct 15 18:02:31 CEST 2019

Hi Catalin,

On 10/15/19 4:26 PM, Catalin Marinas wrote:
> Adding Szabolcs and Dave from ARM as we've discussed this internally
> briefly but we should include the wider audience.
>
> On Mon, Oct 14, 2019 at 10:33:32PM +0100, Will Deacon wrote:

[...]

>>> The options I see:
>>>
>>> 1. Revert commit 057d3389108e and try again to document that the memory
>>>    syscalls do not support tagged pointers
>>>
>>> 2. Change untagged_addr() to only 0-extend from bit 55 or leave the
>>>    tag unchanged if bit 55 is 1. We could mask out the tag (0 rather
>>>    than sign-extend) but if we had an mlock test passing ULONG_MASK,
>>>    then we get -ENOMEM instead of -EINVAL
>>>
>>> 3. Make untagged_addr() depend on the TIF_TAGGED_ADDR bit and we only
>>>    break the ABI for applications opting in to this new ABI. We did look
>>>    at this but the ptrace(PEEK/POKE_DATA) needs a bit more thinking on
>>>    whether we check the ptrace'd process or the debugger flags
>>>
>>> 4. Leave things as they are, consider the address space 56-bit and
>>>    change the test to not use LONG_MAX on arm64. This needs to be passed
>>>    by the sparc guys since they probably have a similar issue
>>
>> I'm in favour of (2) or (4) as long as there's also an update to the docs.
>
> With (4) we'd start differing from other architectures supported by
> Linux. This works if we consider the test to be broken. However, reading
> the mlock man page:
>
>        EINVAL The result of the addition addr+len was less than addr
>        (e.g., the addition may have resulted in an overflow).
>
>        ENOMEM Some of the specified address range does not correspond to
>        mapped pages in the address space of the process.
>
> There is no mention of EINVAL outside the TASK_SIZE, seems to fall more
> within the ENOMEM description above.

I agree with your analysis and vote for option (2) as well, because of what you
reported about mlock() error meanings and because being this ABI I would prefer
where possible to not diverge from other architectures.
 [...]

--
Regards,
Vincenzo