[LTP] mkfs.vfat: Device partition expected, not making filesystem on entire device '/dev/vdb' (use -I to override)

Petr Vorel pvorel@suse.cz
Wed Jan 15 15:32:07 CET 2020

Hi Cyril,

> > there is a problem with mkfs.vfat, when LTP_DEV is full block device:

> > # ltp_dev=/dev/vdb fsync04
> > tst_test.c:1278: INFO: Testing on vfat
> > tst_mkfs.c:92: INFO: Formatting /dev/vdb with vfat opts='' extra opts=''
> > mkfs.vfat: Device partition expected, not making filesystem on entire device '/dev/vdb' (use -I to override)
> > tst_mkfs.c:103: BROK: mkfs.vfat:1: tst_test.c failed with 830

> > Do we want to add permanently -I to vfat?
> > Or is it too hacky to trying to workaround tool's problem in the code?

> I would say that you are supposed to create partition on a real device
> without creating a partition first, but you can always outvote me.
No, I don't want to outvote you :). I'm just missing something as the device is
just /dev/vdb without any partition.

Kind regards,
Petr