[LTP] [RFC] enable OOM protection for the library and test process?

Li Wang liwang@redhat.com
Tue Dec 14 07:31:59 CET 2021

On Tue, Dec 14, 2021 at 12:15 AM Cyril Hrubis <chrubis@suse.cz> wrote:

> > Protecting the test harness is a bad idea because oom_score_adj is
> > inherited by child processes and it'll affect other tests as well. Given
> > the nature of OOM tests, I'd rather not assume that the protection will
> > be properly removed at the end.
>
> This should be easily doable since the test library forks right before
> it executes the test, so we have a single place where the score has to
> be reset.

I think so. And we can even export the function as global to
make it easy to enable/cancel the OOM protection for any
process at any time we wanted. Then, just resetting the child
process oom_score_adj to 0 can avoid to inherited from the
lib-process score as well.

e.g.

    void tst_enable_oom_protection(pid_t pid)
    void tst_cancel_oom_protection(pid_t pid)

> For new library tests there is a process that does nothing but waits for
> the actuall test pid to finish and kills it on timeout. It really makes
> sense to protect this exact process and maybe even mlock() it into the
> memory.

+1

--
Regards,