[LTP] [RFC] Reduce LICENCE/COPYING files

Petr Vorel pvorel@suse.cz
Thu Jun 3 13:57:17 CEST 2021

Hi Cyril,

> Hi!
> > I suppose it's safe to keep only single licence in testcases/open_posix_testsuite/,
> > but could we keep only COPYING in the root directory and delete the rest?
> > Or keep COPYING and testcases/open_posix_testsuite/COPYING only?

> Do we even need these files? Isn't SPDX identifier enough these days?
It be nice we don't need it, but not sure. Looking into kernel tree, there is
LICENSES folder [1] and they describe how they use SPDX [2]:

Valid-License-Identifier: GPL-2.0
Valid-License-Identifier: GPL-2.0-only
Valid-License-Identifier: GPL-2.0+
Valid-License-Identifier: GPL-2.0-or-later
SPDX-URL: https://spdx.org/licenses/GPL-2.0.html
Usage-Guide:
  To use this license in source code, put one of the following SPDX
  tag/value pairs into a comment according to the placement
  guidelines in the licensing rules documentation.
  For 'GNU General Public License (GPL) version 2 only' use:
    SPDX-License-Identifier: GPL-2.0
  or
    SPDX-License-Identifier: GPL-2.0-only
  For 'GNU General Public License (GPL) version 2 or any later version' use:
    SPDX-License-Identifier: GPL-2.0+
  or
    SPDX-License-Identifier: GPL-2.0-or-later
License-Text:

		    GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE
		       Version 2, June 1991

Kind regards,