[LTP] Need info on LTP tests that use /dev/loop mount device.

SANDUR Suresh suresh-s.sandur@thalesgroup.com
Tue Nov 22 16:56:33 CET 2022

Hello,

I am trying to understand the test cases that use the /dev/loop* device. For example the following tests use the loop device:

chmod06, chown04, chown04_16, create06, fallocate04, fallocate05 and fsetxattr01

What is the purpose of using the /dev/loop device? Is it to test some feature of the FS which cannot be done with the currently mounted FS? For example, execute the testcase on a RO filesystem? Are there any others? I am not sure about this, but does LTP also do something like mount the loop device and put different FS, like ext2, ext3, ext4, xfs on the loop device and run the same testcase?

regards,
Suresh