[LTP] [RFC] Include runltp-ng (runltp successor) into LTP git

Andrea Cervesato andrea.cervesato@suse.com
Mon Oct 31 16:34:47 CET 2022

Hi,

as you may know, runltp has been under bug fixing for years without
providing any new feature. For this reason the Perl runltp-ng
(https://github.com/metan-ucw/runltp-ng) was developed, providing an
alternative solution that wasn't completely accepted by LTP community
due to the choice of using Perl as the main language.

For this reason, a new Python runltp-ng has been developed during this
year, with the target to replace Perl version and the current runltp in
the next future. Its code can be found here:
https://github.com/acerv/runltp-ng

runltp-ng Python version provides the following features:
     - class based architecture in Python 3.6+
     - host tests execution
     - Qemu support to execute test suites on virtualized systems
     - SSH support to execute test suites on remote systems (inside
'ssh' branch for now)
     - kernel panic, oops and system crash recognition during test
suites execution on remote systems
     - JSON report

No external dependencies are needed, beside SSH support which requires
paramiko and scp packages (only if SSH support needs to be used).

We also have a talk in the SUSE Labs Conference 2022, where we discussed
runltp-ng development and usage. It can be found here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMeJBt3S7B0

The idea is to move new runltp-ng Python version in the LTP git
upstream, so we can provide a start for runltp replacement in the next
future. If you have questions or ideas, please feel free to share them
with LTP community by replying to this email. Thanks!

Kind regards,
Andrea Cervesato

QE Automation Engineer Linux
SUSE Software Solutions