[LTP] [v2 2/2] lib/tst_pid.c: Increase PIDS_RESERVED to avoid fork failure.

Cyril Hrubis chrubis@suse.cz
Tue Feb 14 16:09:52 CET 2023

Hi!

> > > Do we get a different result from ps and parsing /proc? That sounds
> > > strange...
> >
> > I think that's because "ps -eT" would list threads with the same PID
> > but with different SPID.
> >
> > I get the following output on my VM.
> >
> > ycliang@ubuntu01:~$ ps -eT | wc -l
> > 170
> > ycliang@ubuntu01:~$ ls -d /proc/[0-9]* | xargs -n1 | wc -l
> > 127
>
> Adjusting the RESERVED constant is then a lousy workaround that wouldn't
> work for systems with many threads per process.
>
> One alternative would be to open /proc/$PID/status and read the number
> of threads from there. Should be as easy as one call to
> SAFE_FILE_LINES_SCANF().

Thinking of it again using SAFE_FILE_LINES_SCANF() may be prone to a
race where the process exits and the file disappears between the call to
the readdir() and the open in the SAFE_FILE_LINES_SCANF() so I suppose
that we should use just the FILE_LINES_SCANF() instead and add the
threads value only if the call succeeded.