[LTP] [v2 2/2] lib/tst_pid.c: Increase PIDS_RESERVED to avoid fork failure.

Cyril Hrubis chrubis@suse.cz
Thu Feb 16 09:46:59 CET 2023

Hi!
> Just out of curiosity, is there any reason that we should do this in plain C ?
> (Otherwise, we could drop this patchset and stay with the current implementation)

There are a few, calling random scripts from C is a bad practice
overall.

Portabilitity may be one of the problems, there are several
iimplementations of the basic UNIX utilities for Linux eg. coreutils,
busybox, toybox, etc. These implemtations are subtly incompatible, not
all commandline options are supported and so on. And for the busybox and
toybox some options can be disabled at a compile time. We leaned that
sometimes you have to double check if the functionality available and
most of the time the end result is that it's just easier to rewrite the
code in C.

We also have rule to make tests as self contained as possible, which
simplifies debugging. One of the problems is that we do not have the
environment the shell code runs in under control, we had a few test
failing for non-standard settings of the LANG variables.

In this case the code is reasonably simple, so it will be less likely to
be problematic, however I would stil lean towards replacing it with C
code.

tl;dr Calling shell code from C programs makes things less predictable
      and possibly unstable.