Independence Day (fwd)

Lindo Nepi ascoli@ascu.unian.it
Thu, 8 Mar 2001 14:57:08 +0100 (CET)

uhm..un proponiamo un install fest il 25 aprile? :-)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 12:34:39 +0000
From: Henry White <res09gkq@verizon.net>
To: lugs <lugs@linuxusersgroups.org>
Subject: Independence Day

"Schools all over the country will install Linux based terminals on
July 4th.

"We're installing on independence day because we are celebrating
freedom from expensive PC's running expensive proprietary software.

"We are celebrating easy installs and low maintenance.

"We are educators who realize that using Open Source software in
schools is the right thing to do."

http://www.riverdale.k12.or.us/linux/terminal/

Sounds like a great idea to me, and something that *should* we
enthusiastically endorsed and promoted by the Linux community and
LUGs across the country!

Along similar lines:

"April 29th is Linux Install Day in the UK. On this day, local
Linux user groups will go to various venues around the country
to promote Linux use and install Linux on machines for people.
For more information, check out the event web site:
http://www.linuxday.org.uk, or visit the Devon and Cornwall LUG
event page: http://www.lug.termisoc.org."

The Canadian National Installfest a couple of years ago was a
big success, and IIRC Belgium and France had theirs about the
same time, too.  I remember it was a resounding non-event in the
US, although it was mentioned here and I think on several other
mailing lists and maybe even news:comp.os.linux.announce

--
Henry White
mailto:henry.white@verizon.net

-