[Primipassi] Ritorno a Linux

TommyBlue tommyblue@tin.it
Mar 15 Mar 2005 10:16:57 CET

David Di Lorenzo ha scritto:
> Valeria wrote:
>
>> Inoltre volevo sapere com'è la situazione della
>> compatibilità con NTFS, così decido se fare gli archivi in NTFS o FAT32.
>

> Da quello che so e ho visto l'ntfs viene letto senza problemi, mentre la
> scrittura è più instabile e rischia di danneggiarti la partizione, o
> almeno lo faceva fino a un anno fa. Non so se poi la situzione è
> cambiata, ma ne dubito. Infatti quando monti una partizione nfts
> solitamente viene montata in sola lettura.
> Ti consiglio quindi vivamente di mettere gli archivi in fat32.

dall'help di "make menuconfig" del kernel 2.6.11 (date le limitazioni e
letta l'ultima riga anch'io consiglio caldamente fat32 ;) ):

CONFIG_NTFS_RW:
                       This enables the partial, but safe, write support
in the NTFS driver.                         The only supported operation
is overwriting existing files, without
changing the file length.  No file or directory creation, deletion or
                       renaming is possible.  Note only non-resident
files can be written to                         so you may find that
some very small files (<500 bytes or so) cannot
  be written to.

While we cannot guarantee that it will not damage any data, we have
                       so far not received a single report where the
driver would have                               damaged someones data so
we assume it is perfectly safe to use.

Note:  While write support is safe in this version (a rewrite from
                       scratch of the NTFS support), it should be noted
that the old NTFS                            write support, included in
Linux 2.5.10 and before (since 1997),                              is
not safe.

This is currently useful with TopologiLinux.  TopologiLinux is run
                       on top of any DOS/Microsoft Windows system
without partitioning your                          hard disk.  Unlike
other Linux distributions TopologiLinux does not
need its own partition.  For more information see
                       <http://topologi-linux.sourceforge.net/>

It is perfectly safe to say N here.