R: AGAIN: sharing the data (with XML)

Stefano Costa steko@iosa.it
Wed Oct 11 10:40:26 CEST 2006

Il giorno mar, 10/10/2006 alle 15.45 +0200, emilianoscampoli@alice.it ha
scritto:
> The most importat thing is that our schemas are comprehensible and not
> exactly the same.

I think what you are exposing is good, but I don't agree with the
"comprehensible". The assumption that a schema by itself can be
comprehensible is plainly wrong just as thinking so of  an
archaeological record item (that is our main concern).

Schemas need to be _explained_ : if you use XHTML you know that you can
understand all you can possibly need about it at
http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/

If you go into the hard task of creating a schema, plan also to write
documentation for it. By documentation I mean not just technical
rubbish, but a description of the concepts that are behind your
categories and can help someone else writing a translator (XSLT or
whatever). Keep in mind that if you share your data, they would be
accessed also by people that don't know your pre-concepts, or come from
other cultural domains.

Otherwise, good point, XML is suitable for a good amount of our data
IMHO.

Best regards,

Stefano

--