Arch geophysics

Stefano Costa steko@iosa.it
Mon May 3 18:20:45 CEST 2010

Il giorno dom, 02/05/2010 alle 02.43 +1000, David Hunter ha scritto:

> Hi all on the Linux archaeology list!
>
> I was wondering if anyone is aware of any archaeological geophysics
> data processing freeware compatible with Linux (any distro). I use
> Ubuntu, but am willing to distro-hop if I can get the right program.

Hi David,
I have never worked with geophysical tools and data, but at CAA in
Granada last month I saw Kenneth Kvamme doing a short demonstration of
GPR data processing with common GIS software. He strongly advocated
against the use of "black-box" data processing tools, and I'm inclined
to agree with him. He was using IDRISI, on GNU/Linux you will find QGIS
+GRASS or gvSIG to be good programs.

Another question is if you also need to get raw data from your
measurement tools.

If you tell us a bit more about your workflow, we can give more specific
hints. You will also want to read this short and gentle introduction to
"Free and non-Free software"
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/categories.html and see how "freeware" is
different from "free software". We like the latter :)

Ciao,
steko

--
Stefano Costa