Movio

Luca Bezzi luca.bezzi@arc-team.com
Fri Dec 5 09:11:44 CET 2014

Hi Nicola,
there are not big problems for ArcheOS, reading the specification of Movio:

  * Web Server: Apache 2.2 or newer
  * RDBMS: MySQL 5.1 or newer
  * PHP: 5.3

We use already ArcheOS for DB and webgis project (but this one seems to
be a DB, not a webGIS, right?). The only problem is that since the
beginning of ArcheOS between PostgreSQL and MySQL we chose the first
one. It was a license matter. If I remember well at that time PostgreS
was GPL, but MySQL had an open source license that needed the payment of
a fee for commercial application. Now they turned to a double license:
GPL and commercial. I guess now Oracle bought MySQL. In our opinion (but
this is of course a matter of taste) PostgreSQL is also better, the
spatial extension is great (PostGIS) and also Postgres3D seems promising.
In short you just have to install MySQL 5.1 in ArcheOS and the other
extension of PHP (if missing). There should be non problems.

Just a question: I read that the project comes from the Istituto
Centrale per il Catalogo Unico. It is somehow related with the Istituto
Centrale per la Catalogazione e la Documentazione (the same of the
schede US, USM, etc... that we use in Italy in archaeology)? Because
they should have their own system already.

Another point. We are testing new software for 3D visualization of 3D
objects on the net. By now results are really promising. We did not yet
try to connect them with a DB, but in case I think we will choose
Postgres again.

Let us know what do you think about and if you test Movio.

Ciao.