initrd with rootfs autodetect

Oleg Gusev oleg@usm.uni-muenchen.de
Tue Apr 27 18:55:22 CEST 2004

 Hi Francois,

  i'm impressed :)

> Issues:
> * it will try to use blockdev to free the ramdisk memory,
>  but the required utility blockdev isn't part of busybox :(

it's part of TAR.bz2 ?

> * somehow, my linuxrc script is executed as PID=9, so I can't use
> pivot_root and link into a debian's sysvinit, or it will be confused.

Are you using "root=/dev/ram0 init=/yourscript" or
"root=/dev/rd/0 init=/linuxrc" and then call you script ?

> * Oleg: how do you do, here? Do you use pivot_root with busybox's init?

i have moved "standard" /linuxrc to /linuxrc.old (it's hardlinked)
and put the shell script /linuxrc as i have posted yesterday.

> * Oleg: somehow, I can't login on your TAR.bz2 image. pam rejects me.
>  Yet, somehow, the passwd field seems to be empty (!)

I have removed my password hash before doing TAR :))
Probably pam config is overzealous and rejects the empty password.
Edit the /etc/passwd file before copying the archive contents
to CF. I hate default passwords!!!

 Oleg.

PS. Think about day/year problem. Generally i like the year 1970,
       but 1-Jan-1970 is not great for normal users.