initrd with rootfs autodetect

Francois-Rene Rideau fare@tunes.org
Tue Apr 27 19:21:48 CEST 2004

On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 06:55:22PM +0200, Oleg Gusev wrote:
>   i'm impressed :)
I'm horrified.

>>  but the required utility blockdev isn't part of busybox :(
> it's part of TAR.bz2 ?
Happily, it is. I didn't notice a difference in free output, though. Hum.

> Are you using "root=/dev/ram0 init=/yourscript" or
> "root=/dev/rd/0 init=/linuxrc" and then call you script ?
I'm not doing anything, for I don't know where to change it.
Apparently, cat /proc/cmdline tells me the latter is used.
Maybe I can echo init=/path/to/bin/init 1 > /proc/cmdline ?

> i have moved "standard" /linuxrc to /linuxrc.old (it's hardlinked)
> and put the shell script /linuxrc as i have posted yesterday.
Is it executed as PID=9 or PID=1 ?
In the former case, how do things go?
Do you use the init from busybox or debian?

> I have removed my password hash before doing TAR :))
> Probably pam config is overzealous and rejects the empty password.
Yes. I edited rcS to spawn a shell on vc/11 and there I could use the
passwd command to change passwords. Grrrr.

My oh my! I've got a civilized machine once more!
I was getting used to having a raw xemacs run from vfat,
but was missing dict and all my usual key bindings.

Cheers!

http://Bastiat.org/ - debunking economic sophisms since 1845.