[LTP] Oldest still supported kernel

Li Wang liwang@redhat.com
Thu May 16 11:49:22 CEST 2019

On Thu, May 16, 2019 at 5:07 PM Cyril Hrubis <chrubis@suse.cz> wrote:

> Hi!
> > > Is it the oldest version we want to support or even something older?
> >
> > I'd like minimum to be at least 3.10.0 / glibc-2.17 (RHEL7).

This minimum looks good to me.

> > Older distros use LTP mostly for regression tests, so it might be
> acceptable
> > for users to switch to older release tag, rather than always latest
> master.

I think so. To switch to older release is a better option in that situation.

> > There's also an option, we create a "legacy" branch for old distros,
> > and accept only critical fixes (no new tests, rewrites, etc.). It would
> > be unsupported, but provide place where legacy users can cooperate.
>
> I was trying to avoid having several active branches for LTP for several
> reasons. Mainly to avoid people running old LTP on reasonably modern
> kernels because they were under an impression that older release is more
> stable. Hence I would like to avoid having this if possible.

Yes, to maintain an old LTP branch will also cost more energy, I agree to
avoid do that too.

But one more question, if a person posts a patch to fix an older issue
which conflicts with the new kernel stuff, what should we do for that?

--
Regards,
Li Wang