[LTP] Replacing runltp-ng with kirk

Andrea Cervesato andrea.cervesato@suse.com
Wed Sep 6 11:47:05 CEST 2023

Hello everyone,

in the past months I've been involved into a new version of runltp-ng.
This new version has been completely rewritten using asyncio, providing
the possibility to execute tests in parallel, as well as keeping the
code base more stable and easier to maintain.

After this first stage, I recognized that runltp-ng could have been
extended not only to LTP, but to all the other Linux testing frameworks
available nowadays, since the code base was solid enough to be
abstracted and used to run other binaries/scripts inside Qemu/SSH/LTX
sessions.

I integrated a new plugins system into runltp-ng, giving the possibility
to implement a Framework class, which is dynamically loaded at runtime
and it provides a layer between SUT and new testing frameworks.

As you might guess, project started to diverge from the original runltp.
For this reason, the new project has now a new name: kirk. Its code can
be found here: https://github.com/acerv/kirk
First supported frameworks are kselftests, liburing and, of course, LTP
(that is our default framework).

The idea, now, is to replace runltp-ng, since it's not maintained
anymore, and replace it with kirk in the LTP official release.

Do you have any question, suggestion, idea? Your feedback is really
important for the community, so don't hesitate to ask :-)

Best regards,
Andrea Cervesato

Kernel QE Engineer, SUSE software Solutions GmbH