[LTP] New LTP documentation!

Petr Vorel pvorel@suse.cz
Wed Apr 10 12:12:25 CEST 2024

Hi all,

> Hi Andrea,

> On Mon, Mar 18, 2024 at 8:41 PM Andrea Cervesato via ltp <ltp@lists.linux.it>
> wrote:

> > Hello everyone,

> > as already mentioned in the monthly LTP meeting, Linux Test Project
> > lacks of a nice and clean documentation that can be easily accessed by
> > users, developers and maintainers.
> > The current LTP documentation is also not matching with our expectancy
> > towards the entire project, which is has been heavily refactored and it
> > has changed in the past years, providing a higher quality code and new
> > testing features.

> > For this reasons, we think it's time to move forward and to start
> > working on documentation, helping people to use, to develop and to
> > maintain LTP in an easier way, increasing quality of the overall project
> > and to call more developers in the community.

> > I started to work on documentation refactoring, re-organizing the
> > overall structure. The first prototype can be found here:

> > https://ltp-acerv.readthedocs.io/en/latest/index.html

> Looks great! Thanks for bringing this.

> And I just tried that the latest LTP compiled & executed succeed on
> RHEL-7.9.
> Can you update the "Oldest tested distributions" [1] part by adding:

>   RHEL-7.9 Maipo (Distro)  3.10 (kernel)  4.8.5(gcc)  2.17(glibc)  -(clang)

Although in the original docs, the table was not under section "Build testing
with GitHub Actions", I assumed it's clear we talk about GitHub Actions testing.
That's why I put there only distros we actually have in .github/workflows/ci.yml
and not e.g. SLE12-SP2 which we test with latest LTP release.

I actually find useful to stand which distros we test privately, but this info
should be obvious (either add a column "CI", where would be "GitHub Actions" or
"RHEL private CI" or whatever.

@Li Andrea put there as new info: "Minimal supported kernel version is 3.10."
which is not in old docs. Do you really test RHEL-7.9 (3.10 based) with the
latest LTP release?

@Yang Xu I found you removed fallbacks up to kernel 3.10:

06ada0329 ("Remove old kernel version check when using min_kver under 3.10")
862d94c45 ("Remove old kernel version check when using tst_kvercmp under 3.10")
971828c00 ("shell: Remove old kernel version check below 3.10")

Hopefully I haven't overlook anything.

@Andrea: Also, I would prefer to put back paragraph "1. Build testing with
GitHub Actions". I'll send a patch, to force myself to learn building new docs.

Kind regards,
Petr