[LTP] Identify current test coverage and clarify contribution opportunities

Andrea Cervesato andrea.cervesato@suse.com
Wed Apr 17 09:42:35 CEST 2024

Hi Luigi,

On 4/17/24 08:32, Luigi Pellecchia wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm Luigi Pellecchia, a Principal SW Quality Engineer at Red Hat.
> I developed an Open Source Software Quality Management Tool, named "BASIL
> The FuSa Spice" that can help the LTP keep track of the test case coverage
> against man pages and to clarify contribution opportunities to new members.
> I prepared an initial demo I shared on LinkedIn at
> https://www.linkedin.com/posts/luigi-pellecchia_how-basil-can-help-linux-test-project-to-activity-7186248090129956864-d-vC?utm_source=share&utm_medium=member_desktop
Thanks for sharing. I watched the demo and it can be useful in certain
circumstances, but in others it could be tricky. I will explain myself
at the end of the email.
> This tool is under the hood of ELISA (Linux Foundation) github at
> https://github.com/elisa-tech/BASIL
>
> Any feedback will be greatly appreciated
>
> Please let me know if you have any questions, or if you'd like to see a
> live demo of the tool.
>
> Regards
>
> --
> Luigi

One of the things we noticed is that man pages are not updated too often
and some kernel features are not covered by the manuals. This would be
an issue when it comes to calculate tests coverage and some of us think
that this approach could be hard to follow.

Also, LTP has a lack of men power nowadays (especially when it comes to
reviews) which means coverage report is good to track LTP status, but we
would take ages to implement remaining kernel tests. There's an internal
discussion in LTP about bringing more people inside the project and we
are trying to move forward to achieve this goal (see new documentation).
That would help the whole project.

We have a monthly LTP meeting. The next will probably be the 8th of may
(I need to send the email yet). It's public, so feel free to join if you
want.

Best regards,
Andrea Cervesato