SfM and archeo-anthropology

luca luca.bezzi@arc-team.com
Mon Mar 21 08:18:14 CET 2011

Hi Ricardo,
the skull is done with 40 pictures. Actually i have to finish the work
in Meshlab. As you see in the movie, the model is not yet completely
clean (there are some black point at the bottom). Next step is to
rebuild the surface (i want to test hard also this part of the wrkflow).
I already tried to create the mesh for this model, but i have to report
that unfortunately the Linux version of meshlab seems to be not yet so
stable like the windows version in building the surface (for all the
rest it works fine). Alessandro (that knows better this software) told
me that, if Meshlab crash too often in Linux/ArcheOS, it is better to do
the same operation in a Windows version and it will not crash. I tried
only once and Meshlab crashed on the 80% of the process. I will try some
more time, but i guess we can report this issue to the Meshlab team (we
can write to Matteo Dellepiane or Paolo Cignoni). Anyway i will wait
till i get some more results.

You are right, video cameras should gave you optimal data to work on
with SfM. Till now i never tried, but this would be a nice test to do.
It should speed up data acquisition (but maybe slow down data elaboration).

For the skull i used a black background to do PMVS2 elaboration faster
and this trick worked pretty good (it also gave me a more clean model at
the end of the process).