Boot ArcheOS in text mode

Fabrizio Furnari fab.furnari@email.it
Sat Apr 14 13:29:59 CEST 2012

Hi Ricardo, thanks for this email (and for the solutions) and sorry for my
late answer.
The choice to install Debian in text-mode only is provided by
debian-installer, which calls tasksel (only in "Expert mode") and let you
select the tasks to install.
Sincerely I didn't try to install ArcheOS without the "Graphical
Environment" task, also because most of the applications in ArcheOS uses
extensively gnome or another desktop environment.
We're trying to make ArcheOS most standard and wider as possible, so at the
moment we didn't plan to release a "text only" distribution.
An alternative for these kind of issues could be install the drivers during
the installation (always in "Expert Mode") or deselect the "Graphical
Environment" task to install it later using tasksel.
Didn't know if works...
BTW, which package did you install to provide such graphic drivers?
Thanks,

On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 3:46 PM, Ricardo Gaidão <caioviator@yahoo.com.br>wrote:

> Just sharing my recent experience:
>
> Currently I'm trying to install ArcheOS Theodoric in a old laptop. Just
> want do discover if ArcheOS is a good choice for old machines and if those
> can still be used in practical archaeological projects. In theory they
> should, specially if you aren't planing using the machine to handle complex
> 3D model calculation.
>
> Unfortunately I faced a problem. The computer graphic card (ATI Radeon
> Mobility 9700) is not compatible with Debian last versions (ergo not
> compatible with OS like Ubuntu or ArcheOS - yes I tried).
>
> When I run ArcheOS live dvd the system loads correctly but don't recognize
> the graphic card and the screen turn all white. When I install the system
> using graphic or text installers dvd options the same problem occurs,
> because ArcheOS installs GNOME graphic interface by default.
>
> The problem is that GNOME can only work correctly after you install the
> necessary hardware drivers, but at the same time don't let you do this,
> because prevents the access to screen display providing only a blank screen
> (ALT+CTRL+F1 also don't work).
>
> I only figure three options to solve this:
>
> OPTION 1) The simple option. To edit GRUB command line during system
> booting to don't run a graphic interface. After the system boot in text
> mode you can install all the necessary hardware drivers.
>
> I read sources saying that this can be done adding info to GRUB forcing
> the system to boot in runlevel=3. But I couldn't figure where and how to
> add this option in ArcheOS grub.
>

> http://www.brunolinux.com/05-Configuring_Your_System/Grub_boot_runlevel-3.html
>
> OPTION 2) The complex option. Install the system without X11 (no
> graphics). After the system boot in text mode, you can install all the
> necessary hardware drivers and GNOME from terminal.
>
> I tried this option but apparently ArcheOS installer don't provide, like
> Debian installers,  the option to install the system without graphics (X11).
>
> OPTION 3) Another complex option. Install Debian OS without graphics
> (X11). After the system boot for the first time install all the necessary
> hardware drivers and GNOME from terminal. Boot the system already in
> graphic mode and convert Debian to an ArcheOS system using the "archeos-system”
> metapackage, created by Fabrizio Furnari.
>
> http://vai.uibk.ac.at/dadp/doku.php?id=archeos_v4convert_howto_en
>
> I tried this option and apparently it works. But converting Debian to
> ArcheOS in this particular case is just like using a cannon to kill a fly.
>
> FINAL SUGGESTIONS:
>
> 1) Providing ArcheOS grub menu option (or instructions) to boot in text
> mode. This can also be useful in other cases, like incorrect graphic
> configuration (i.e. choosing incorrect screen resolution) or file
> corruption that prevent the user to access correct screen display.
>
> 2) Adding an advanced option to ArcheOS installer (similar to Debian), to
> install ArcheOS without graphics.

> [...]

@P=split//,".URRUU\c8R";@d=split//,"\niranruF oizirbaF";sub p{
@p{"r$p","u$p"}=(P,P);pipe"r$p","u$p";++$p;($q*=2)+=$f=!fork;map{$P=$P[$f^ord
^$P/ix?$P:close$_}keys%p}p;p;p;p;p;map{$p{$_}=~/^[P.]/&&
close$_}%p;wait until$?;map{/^r/&&<$_>}%p;$_=$d[$q];sleep
rand(2)if/\S/;print